Oliver Stone: Not Involved in El Chapo Movie
Reports of people involved in the Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman film continue to be shot down.
Just days after sources confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that Sean Penn would have no said participation in the movie based on the life story of the notorious Mexican drug lord, Oliver Stone released a statement to the publication on Friday, denying he will direct the project.
“As the ‘Daily Mail’ would know had it contacted me, the story is unfounded,” the Academy Award-winner told THR of the British tabloid newspaper report.
El Chapo Film: Oliver Stone Accused of Orchestrating Sean Penn’s Meeting With Drug Lord
The same outlet that alleged Penn went to Mexico last year to secure rights with Guzman for the so-called Stone-directed film, claimed Stone “orchestrated [the] rendezvous with El Chapo to make a Hollywood blockbuster starring the Oscar-winning actor as the drug lord.”
The “Mail”‘s allegations led to a Reelz documentary, “El Chapo & Sean Penn: Bungle in the Jungle,” which premiered Thursday.